Monday, July 10, 2017

Zucchini Parmesan

zucchini parmesan

             Hey folks! I love this time of year for one reason: zucchini! I've already made zucchini bread and muffins and, to be honest, I'm not crazy about my mom's zucchini casserole recipe (it's a weird consistency), so I'm already looking for new-to-me ways to use it.
             John is the one who actually suggested trying something like eggplant parmesan, so I gave it a go. I've actually never had eggplant parmesan and have only tried chicken parmesan once and didn't care that much for it, to be honest. With that being said, I just made this similar to how I imagine a different “parm” dish would be made. Regardless of whether it's true “parmesan” or not, I hope you enjoy it!

seasonings
What You'll Need:

-2 zucchini
-2 jars of spaghetti sauce
-1 box of Jiffy cornbread mix
-garlic powder
-salt
-pepper
-minced onion or onion powder
-taco seasoning
-gallon baggie
-parmesan cheese
-mozzarella cheese
-cooking oil of choice for frying zucchini (we used peanut)

*Preheat your oil on the stove at a little above medium heat. I used a bit too much oil and they were all floating, so don't use quite that much. ;)

sliced zucchini
*Cut your zucchini into slices similar to those pictures. (Some of them got a little crazy because my 4 year old was helping me. Lol)

*Mix together Jiffy mix and desired amounts of garlic powder, salt, pepper, minced onion, and a tiny bit of taco seasoning, for good measure, in the gallon baggie. Stick about 5 or 6 slices of zucchini in at a time and coat. (Note: If a little dry, you may wet slices with water or eggwash to get dry mix to stick better. You want to make sure they're well-coated!)
seasoned zucchini slices

fried zucchini
*Once your oil is up to temp, turn it back down to about medium and start frying your zucchini slices. You want them to be a nice golden brown. (As you can see from my pictures, I got some a little darker than I intended.) Set on a cooling wrack with paper towel or just a regular plate with paper towel to drain when finished frying.

*While you are frying all of your zucchini, pour your spaghetti sauce into a separate pan or large skillet. Simmer on low heat.

*Once everything is ready, add half of your desired amount of parmesan and mozzarella cheese to the sauce. Add desired amount of zucchini. (You may have extra. I found that one zucchini was not enough and two was a little much, but that's ok! They're good by themselves too!) Combine rest of cheese and serve hot.
This Is How We Roll Thursday Party
ethannevelyn.com

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, looks yummy, I'll have to give this a try x
    #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of zucchini before - but these looks great! I think I might give it a try myself! Thanks for sharing with us. xx #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete
  3. He call them courgettes in the UK - I love them and this sounds delicious. Sarah #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny all the different names we have for things here in America. I am friends with a British gal and her mom and we would chat online. I swear I wouldn't know what she was talking about half of the time. lol

      Delete